Indigenous Australian and women’s rights activist, Lilla Watson, defined the core belief I believe is necessary to improve our communities’ well-being when she stated, “If you have come to help me, you are wasting your time. But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together.”
This statement and two others form the foundation of my work: 1) Leverage the “do well while doing good” philosophy to build financial and social capital; and, 2) Partner at the local level for sustainable, positive change.
Some of my most successful (and enjoyable) projects include:
• Developing and implementing programs to reduce disparities in health, employment and education;
• Leading multicultural teams to achieve organizational and individual goals;
• Instructing English as a Second Language classes for adults seeking to improve educational and employment opportunities.
Here are a few projects in more detail:
- Community Care of Central Colorado, Colorado Springs, CO: Assisting the Regional Collaborative Care Organization (RCCO) for Medicaid members to improve community health while keeping costs down for members and medical providers.
- University of Colorado, Colorado Springs: Teaching with the College of Education’s Intensive English Program which provides international students with a culturally sensitive, supportive environment in which to build English language proficiency and academic skills needed for post-secondary or graduate level coursework.
- National Council of La Raza, Washington, DC: Conducted training workshops across the US designed to support low-wealth communities in building assets through one-on-one financial counseling.
- Community Health Partnership, Colorado Springs, CO: Conducted market research for a consortium of healthcare providers with a goal of improving quality, access, and efficiencies in healthcare among Medicaid patients and the uninsured.
- Mi Casa Resource Center, Denver, CO: Directed community-based organization’s workforce and English as a Second Language programs to assist low-wealth individuals in achieving economic self-sufficiency, education, and a career path.
- Berlitz Language Centers, S. Luis Potosí, México: Implemented programs in accent reduction and business coaching to improve cross-cultural communication among employees in Mexico and Canada for Honeywell International.
- GSD&M Advertising, Austin, TX: Managed advertising for award-winning brands such as Southwest Airlines, Texas Department of Economic Development – Tourism Division and Doubletree Hotels.